Apply for Jobs Online
We thank you for your interest in working for the City of Oakland.Current City of Oakland or Port of Oakland employees can see a complete list of open jobs by visiting the City of Oakland's Human Resource Management
website and look at the list of jobs open to city employees.If you are looking for a job with the Port of Oakland, visit the Port of Oakland Job Center
for a list of jobs and information about the Port of Oakland's hiring process.If this is your first time applying for a City of Oakland job, following the steps listed below to get your application started.
- Visit the Human Resource Management website and search for jobs that fit your skills and interests.
- Save your search by setting up a job alert using a Job Interest Card. Setting up a Job Interest Card means you will get emails when new jobs open that fit skills and interests.
- When you see a job you want to apply to, click the "Apply" button in the top right corner of the job description.
- Follow the instructions to create a Job Opportunities account. You will need to pick a user name and password.
- Click on the "Build Job Application" link to start working on your job application. The NeoGov system will save your information every 15 minutes, but you still be sure to save your work as you complete the sections of your job application.
- Once you have started your application, you can save it and use it to apply to other City of Oakland jobs.
Only authorized employees and hiring authorities have access to the information submitted. If you have questions about technical questions, you can call NeoGov at (877) 204-4442.
Veterans: Some veterans can get preference points which can help you get hired. To receive your points, you must have an honorable discharge. Submit Form DD214 with your application by the final filing date for the position. If you are a disabled veteran, submit proof of your disability from the Veteran’s Service with your application.
People with Criminal Convictions: You can still apply to a job with the City of Oakland. Each application will be given individual consideration. All records of conviction(s) will be reviewed, and this might result in a request for additional information or termination if needed.
If you do not have access to a computer: There are computer stations available at any City of Oakland Public Library. There are also computer stations you can use at the Department of Human Resources Management, 150 Frank H. Ogawa Plaza, 2nd Floor, Oakland, CA 94612. Work stations are available during regular business hours (usually 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.).
Tips for Creating a Successful Job Application
- Before you submit your application, make sure you have finished all the supplemental application questions.
- Use specific information when you answer questions on the application such as dates, locations and references.
- It might be easier to write your responses in separate word processing document (Microsoft Word, Rich Text Editor) and then cut and paste your response into the NeoGov system.
- Be sure to complete and submit your application before the position's closing date. After the closing date, your application might not be reviewed.