How does an Obstruction Permit work?
- An Obstruction Permit lets you park a portable storage unit or moving truck in one place for a period of time.
- The Obstruction Permit tells your neighbors that they can't park in the permitted site for a period of time.
- You may only block the street or right of way in the area that you are moving to or from.
- You need to post the NO PARKING sign(s) that come with the Obstruction Permit at least 72 hours (3 days) before you park your portable storage unit or moving truck on the street.
How do I apply for an Obstruction Permit?
You must apply for an Obstruction Permit in person at the Permit Center. The line to get an Obstruction Permit can be long; to avoid a long wait, visit the Permit Center before 11 a.m. or after 4 p.m. The Permit Center is very busy between 11 a.m.- 4 p.m.
When you come to the Permit Center to apply for your Obstruction Permit, you will need the following:
- The site address.
- The dates you will need the permit.
- Number of parking spaces you will need to block. Please note that one parking space is 25 feet long.
- The meter numbers if you will need to block parking meters.
- Contact phone number for the company or person applying.
- If the Obstruction Permit is related to other permitted work, please include that permit application number with your application.
- A traffic control plan if you will need to block traffic. For help with creating a traffic control plan, check out the Traffic Control Application page.
Once you are sure you have all the required information, go to the Permit Center and complete the following steps:
- Go the Permit Center’s Information Counter and ask for an Obstruction Permit.
- Wait until your number is called and then go to the counter.
- Provide the required information.
- Pay the permit fee.
The Permit Center accepts cash, checks payable to the City of Oakland and most major credit cards.
How much does an Obstruction Permit cost?
The cost of an Obstruction Permit varies. The cost depends on the length of time you will need the permit and the number and type of parking spaces you will need to block.